Monday, May 3, 2010

Right of Spring

This time of year is special.  Spring is among us and America's past time is alive and well for little leaguers all over the country.  In my part of the woods, this leads to coaching boys to throw, field, and hit a baseball.  This will be my 4th year coaching and each year I learn something new from the players I coach.

First off, kids can be so intuitive that they almost know the next baseball drill before I even say it.  They also have grown a great deal from 4 years ago.  I have coached several of these boys for the past 4 years and they have improved to the point of throwing faster, more accurate, and hitting the ball further.  They have better presence on the field and understand the mechanics of routine plays.  What I don't understand is  what I have learned in those same four years.

Have you ever thought about what you learned yesterday?  How about the last four years?  Hopefully, something has changed in the last four years of your life.  Just think if as we age we don't learn new things.  What if we went day after day and never learned any thing new?  Would our lives be boring?  You bet.

That's why I challenge each of you to do something new.  Why wait until tomorrow.  Tomorrow may never come or you may end up pushing tomorrow out too far that you won't allow it to come.  You may be asking, what does this person do that is new.  For me, I simply challenge myself to participate in different triathlons.  That goal pushes me to do different things throughout the year that I wouldn't have done otherwise such as swimming in a lake when the water temp hovers around 55 degrees (cold with lots of shrinkage).   I've also participated in a very cold wet running event held in December that has you running through swamps and with "bulls" literally (very shocking only I was too tired to go any faster)!

Yep, its time to try something new so in a few years you will look back and think about how much you have grown.

Remember the best part of life is a work life balance.  Start yours today!

No comments:

Post a Comment