Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Days off

When people think of having a day off they often think of the massive list of things to accomplish at home such as laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, mopping, dishes, and did I say laundry.  Some people avoid days off altogether to keep themselves together.  However, these daily activities that need to be done shouldn't consume your thoughts especially while taking time off from work.  They will still be there after you enjoyed the day.

Triathlon training is similar to this.  When there is a scheduled day off from training use it to the fullest.  There isn't a need to sneak in a small swim, bike, or run.  All that is needed is to enjoy the day without a schedule training session.  Yes, this is hard to do and is similar to taking time off of work trying to avoid house work.  However, it can be done and is rewarding on your body.

Today happens to be a day off of training.  My body is yelling at me to put some extra stress on it while the house is screaming to clean me.  That might not be the best situation since I'm staring at 4 loads of laundry, dirty dishes in the sink, and a bathroom toilet that two boys like to use for target practice while my body is twitching uncontrollably from muscles that are ready to swim, bike, or run.  

As for now, I'm going to enjoy the time with my youngest.  He is first on the list today while everything else can wait.  Kids don't know a clean house from a dirty house, but they do know an engaged dad willing to play.  In the end, my last breath isn't going to be...."I can't play now, I'm cleaning the toilet!"

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Doug...you're the greatest! I need to get on your training schedule. I'm so consumed with house, kid, chicken, paper (thanks to not getting into Pewaukee, volunteer...work, that I can't even fit in a walk on this beautiful day!! Keep it up Doug and enjoy your playtime with Jack today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a "day off" is something quite unlikely for working mums. Well every now and then I would lay in bed with a book, even for 10 to 20 minutes a day is already like time off for everything else. It is true that if possible, slip in a "my alone time" every now and then to re-charge our batteries. Have a nice day, just blog hopping.

    ReplyDelete