Sunday, August 9, 2009

Vacation

Good afternoon all,

Even job hunters need to find peace every now and then. My family and I took a much needed four day vacation. That recharged the batteries while pushing the thought of NOT being employed in the worse job market in history out of mind...at least for a short time.

Last week I did have two interviews. It felt as though I was on a sales call trying to get the individual to buy my wares which was me! It was an eye opening experience since the process was almost surreal. What part of the position I was applying for appealed to me? I found myself interviewing the individual as much as they were interviewing me.

Let's reviewing interviewing techniques. First of all, dress the part. No sixties throwback suits or skinny ties. Shoes are also important. Just make sure they are shinny without kids drool on them. Shoes probably aren't that important since I couldn't tell you what the individual was wearing on his feet as much as he probably couldn't tell what I was wearing. Just make sure you're not wearing white socks. Socks need to be darker than your pants.

Some other important tips:

1. Eye contact is good as well, but don't stare.
2. You don't need to speak all the time. Take your time and breathe.
3. Ask good questions. Not questions that the interviewer will hear all the time. Ask them how you did. Ask them if you're qualified for the position. Ask them if they excel at their position.
4. Avoid salary range like the plague. State something like "I expect to be compensated according to my experience."
5. Avoid vacation days talk. Once the offer is in hand, then pounce!
6. All these tips are found all over the internet as well as help books. Just remember to be yourself. If not, six months into a new position and your true colors will show and you'll be interviewing again!

Now its off to unpack and get the kids ready for a week of fun and more job hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment