Friday, March 19, 2010

First Week

This was the first official week of training for Ironman Wisconsin 2010. Unfortunately, I don't feel any different and I didn't train any harder this week. In fact, following a 26 week program and I actually needed to train less. I guess that age-groupers really do train harder than they should.

I will say that I won't follow any Ironman training until I am 13 weeks out. Until that time I have several events lined up with the first one a half marathon to get the kinks out of these winter legs in April. I spend the majority of the my training on a bike trainer. Some think that its too boring to spin inside and leave a puddle of sweat on the floor, but for me its too easy to flop out of bed and stroll into the basement to ride. Hopefully, I've gained at least one mile an hour faster for all this spinning. If not, at least I know that I've done what I can to remain on the earth a little longer with all this heart healthy exercise. That's not a bad benefit of training.

As for Ironman, I never knew how expensive the entry fee was nor did I truly add up all expenses associated with the sport of triathlon. Golfing may lower cost than this, but its not as healthy. At least that's what I tell myself. The 19th hole always hurt me when I golfed and I'm sticking to that to keep me involved in the lifestyle of triathlon.

For those that aren't familiar with triathlon, its a great way to live and a great individual goal each year to justify the healthy lifestyle. Also, there's no where else that you will meet individuals in their 60's and 70's only to say...wow, all I have to do is maintain my same pace for the next 30 years and I might be in the top three of my age group! No kidding, there are some excellent silent athletes in the 60's and 70's that can put 80% of the population to shame!

So get up and get training! I'll let you know how my training is going. You let me know how yours is going!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment