Wednesday, March 24, 2010

New Routines

Spring is in the air and triathlon training is ramping up. This year's triathlon season will include ironman Wisconsin in September. Considering I haven't been in the lake to swim this year yet it seems like it is a long way off. Ice is still on the lake how can I begin swim training? No, I'm not going to become a lap dog in the local health club. I've done that and it isn't interesting.

This year I've included some dry land exercises that some college swimmers do when they can't get to the pool. It's a little weird to lay on an exercise ball and pretend you're swimming, but the lake has ice. I have noticed a difference in the two weeks that I've included these routines. My shoulders feel stronger and I can see my obliques poking through layers of winter fat.

This new swimming routine may be different, but this past year has been different. I found myself in a swirl of an economic downturn that landed my position being eliminated. At the time I didn't realize that this was a turning point where I can redirect my focus and talents into something with more meaning. I view swimming on a ball with the same vision. It may be unfamiliar, but it is unfamiliar in a good way and will help me when I'm swimming 2.4 miles in September.

Embrace something new this week and turn it into something beneficial in the months to come. You won't regret it.

Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment