Thursday, March 25, 2010

Keep Running

Today was a run training day. The volume wasn't too bad and the intensity was in a good zone as well. Not sure why it took me several years to understand that training is different than just plain exercise. I feel fresher than I have after many training sessions this year since following a plan and not just going out and giving it.

While running today with my training group we began to discuss the new healthcare bill and what impact we will feel. None of us have actually read the entire 1,000+ page document, but we all had our own experience with the current state of healthcare. I've come from the depths of hell after losing a job with awesome health benefits only to find that shopping around for a family plan was almost as cost effective as a group plan through my spouse's employer.

My running mates didn't have the same luck. Neither of them have faced losing a job in this environment, but each had an amazing story. One has diabetes (and is an awesome triathlete completing Ironman WI in 2009) and pays almost $6,000 every three months for necessary supplies and insulin. This is over a 800% increase in the last 10 years. Yes, he's pissed off! Manufacturing the products didn't go up that much, but why the price increase.

Also, I found that he obtains health insurance through his spouse and if he had to go on his own he was told he CAN'T get it. That's right he is one of the millions of Americans that can't buy health insurance due to a pre-existing condition.

My other running mate has his own small business and has to deal with rising health insurance rates on an annual basis. Each year his plans have been more expensive with less coverage. Ultimately, passing some of these costs on to his employees and customers as well.

Yep, running today was great. We didn't solve the healthcare issues, but we all learned a little more about the daily issues that we all have to deal with surrounding the necessity of healthcare insurance. Will this new Obama reform actually help healthcare in America? I'm not sure, but I'll keep running and maybe my running group may find a solution. Can't wait to find out what we can solve during our bike training!

I'll keep running, you keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment