Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Politics & the economy

Good evening all,

The economy is still in the tank. Obama and congress is getting closer to finalizing a healthcare reform bill that will undermine future generations with debt that will not able to be paid back. All this is occurring while I am trying to drive sales for an upstart company in two fields that are beat down; healthcare and construction. Mix this in with being an alderman going through budget workshops and I feel like deer waiting for the pending gun-deer season to open.

Due to the economy this budget year is the hardest I've had to balance (9th budget). It is the hardest in two areas. First, is the fact that the municipality has seen a significant reduction in revenues. Secondly, we will need to cut positions to balance the budget but yet the levy spending will still increase greater than any other year. This is just the nature of the times, but what sets me off is talking with constituents that phone and want to talk about trying to save every position.

When I speak to these individuals I listen to them, try to explain the city's situation, and then listen to them argue with me saying that I have no idea what it would be like to be without a job and that I am just a politician. After their rant and they are not able to offer a single idea on how to balance the budget I explain to them what happened to me on July 15, 2009. A few actually apologized and realized that this is just a tough economic year and that we are trying to do our best and appreciate what I must be going through. However, most of them continue to argue their point that I have no appreciation for being without work. I further explain that being an alderman in the City of Pewaukee pays a meager $5,000 per year. At this point, there are few hard heads that continue their argument that I am the worst person to represent their needs yet still can not offer a single idea on how to balance the budget.

How does one cope with trying to provide services for 13,000 people, cope with a recent job loss, and work for an upstart company that will not pay until sales are realized? The answer is not a worldly. The answer lies with a great deal of prayers. Whatever you are going through right now its probably time to drop to a knee and ask for help.

Good luck finding your place. Mine is on my knees!

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. keep rattling those horns, something will walk within your sights.....

    ReplyDelete